Thursday, October 13, 2011

What Is Technique?


The Propeller Dance company is rehearsing two times a week and in these rehearsals we dedicate half of the class working on our technique and in the second half we work on choreography. Technique is basically about engaging your core and core strength. In the classes you learn about turns, directions, diagonals, speeds, feet positions and stretches. Technique also works with articulating your movements. In these technique classes we also learn about dance terms just like the tendu. A tendu is your leg extended with the toe pointing. Think of it as drawing a line in front of you.

Technique can also help you with other dance forms such as break dancing, hip hop and street dancing. You need to make sure that your body is well rested and that you need to eat healthy and properly. For me and for Propeller we all need to keep our bodies warmed up.

Before I didn’t even know what technique was. But now that I’m in Propeller and I’m taking classes in technique I’m starting to enjoy it. For me learning about technique is great. The only thing that’s hard for me is that I’m giving my weight to one foot then when it gets sore I go back to my other foot. Plus my knees are always turning out. Technique is hard but it’s a great workout. You can really learn a lot in these classes.

Just wait till our next show where you can see our technique in action!!

0 comments: